My Book!!

One opportunity that the blog has brought me is the co-authoring of a guidebook, Paddling Southern Maine! It is something in which I take a lot of pride! My writing partner, Sandy Moore, and I have created a book with 54 amazing trips that are within about an hour of Portland! Our motto as we wrote the book was wanting to 'get people to spend the day on the water and not in their cars!'

If you want more information on our book please click on the image of the book below.

Sandy and I are available to attend/present various functions/events. Please email me at mainekayakgirl@gmail.com for more information!

Monday, September 21, 2020

Paddling in the Mist

 This time of year early morning adventures mean paddling in the mist.  

The water temperature is warmer than the air temperature and the mist or fog on the water makes for such an incredible experience. 

Of course this means that the temperatures are dropping and we all need to make sure we are taking extra safety precautions.  Wear layers (not cotton) and make sure to stay dry.  Also wear orange.. hunting seasons have started.... 

But... this post is more about the experience of paddling in the magical mist... 

These first three pics of me and Gladys were taken by Donna, check her out here!  Donna loves paddling and also loves taking photos.  I LOVE these photos of me and Gladys. They are the kind of photos that I have seen and thought how cool would it be to be the person in THAT photo... well... there it is... that is me in that photo!!  And.. Gladys too!!  Thanks Donna!



 

The appearance of things constantly changes as the sun rises up further in the sky.  The colors shift... and you get to see the water and all of your surroundings in such a different way.  


 

The picture below is one I really like.  You can really see the way the sun is shining through the trees.

 

If you haven't had the opportunity to paddle in conditions like this I encourage you to do so... of course it means getting up early to be on the water early...  I have had people pass o my invitations to paddle because I like to get on the water so early... but for me, early means magic... amazing light...often a lot of wildlife... and... this time of year... this mist... For me it is totally worth it!  Fortunately I have a few people, including Donna, who will adventure with me even if it means getting up super early! 



 


The peace... or the level of peace is so different with the mist... some people say it is eerie... and it can be... but I find it beautiful. 


The mist burns off pretty quickly... and it is so cool to see how the landscape changes as the sun burns off the mist.  

Gladys seems to enjoy paddling any time of day!

 
This post is more about the photos of the mist than the destinations... I would love to see your misty pics!  
I hope you are still out paddling, but remember do so safely! 

No comments:

Post a Comment