My Book!!

One opportunity that the blog has brought me is the co-authoring of a guidebook, Paddling Southern Maine! It is something in which I take a lot of pride! My writing partner, Sandy Moore, and I have created a book with 54 amazing trips that are within about an hour of Portland! Our motto as we wrote the book was wanting to 'get people to spend the day on the water and not in their cars!'

If you want more information on our book please click on the image of the book below.

Sandy and I are available to attend/present various functions/events. Please email me at mainekayakgirl@gmail.com for more information!

Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Horseshoe Pond, Lovell Maine

 

(Photo by Donna Knowles).

 

Body of Water: Horseshoe Pond  [Map 10, D1]

Directions:  From Portland, head into Fryeburg.  Head  North on Rt. 5.  (towards the fairgrounds!)  From the intersection of Rt 302 and Rt 5 drive 11.5 miles on Rt 5 and turn LEFT onto West Lovell Rd.  Stay on this road for about 2.7 miles (Crossing over the Kezar Lake Narrows) then go straight onto Foxboro Rd.  (do not bear right to stay on West Lovell Rd.) Stay on Foxboro for about 2 miles, then turn right onto Horseshoe Pond Road.  


In about a mile you will easily see the pond, the launch, and parking. 

Parking: Parking is across the road from the launch site. There is a fairly large dirt area for parking.  I can see that on a busy day this lot could fill up quickly.  But... when you get there early... in the fall.. it was pretty empty! 

 

Launch: The launch is great!  A gradual, sandy put in!  (My favorite kind!)  It is big enough for small trailered boats. 

Fees: None!

Bathroom: None!

Wildlife: We saw a pair of loons, one adult, one juvenile.  I would anticipate other wildlife here at other times.

Notes:  This place is stunning!  A friend of mine lives in Colorado and has told me when he visits me in Maine I show him places that don't have mountains... I tell him in Maine we can head north to Katahdin to see THE mountain... or go to NH to see the mountains... but this little pond... made me feel like I was in the mountains!  Of course, being in western Maine this area is close to the White Mountains.  I LOVE looking at the Whites from the trip to Kezar Pond.   and while Horseshoe Pond is surrounded by hills and not mountains... it is stunning!!  

Here is a topographical map (from google) of the area: 

In this pond you are nestled between the hills... and it is a very cool feeling.  This place is very small compared to other places I have paddled.  You could easily do this pond in a very short amount of time... but on my adventure here... we lingered... enjoying the incredible views!

 

 From the launch you can see this lobster buoy.  It is marking a pretty large rock that is under the surface of the water.  I am sure the boaters greatly appreciate it!  I think... it's pretty cool to have a buoy in a pond like this!

When we arrived it was a bit overcast.. but that did not take away the beauty in any way!  This place really took my breath away.  

Here is a photo of Donna amidst the reflection.  It is great to paddle with someone who also enjoys these places in the same way I do. We both love the serenity and taking photos of this stillness and appreciate the wildlife! 

The foliage has been interesting this year.  People have said that we are beyond peak... and I can see that in some ways, but there are also still a lot of green leaves on the trees.  This trip displayed the best colors I have seen this season. 

I was so in love with this place!



The rocks here offered a nice contrast in my view. 


I took so many pictures here!  (Both camera and phone!).

 
Before long we were greeted by two loons, an adult and a juvenile.  
They treated us to many calls.  I will try to get a video posted here, but they do not upload as easily as photos! 
 
This is the adult... changing into its winter garb.  

 
Here is the adult and the younger loon. 
 
The adult was very vocal!

 
No matter where we were on the pond... the view was stunning.

 
Often when we paddle we look forward... but it is always important to also check out the view where you have been... with this view I was not disappointed!
 
Miss Gladys joined this adventure!
 
An Old Town Canoe... on the shore of a camp... with fall foliage... could not resist taking this one!
 
We heard the geese before we saw them...  To be honest, this photo is a total accident.  I heard them, pointed and clicked... and this came up in between plain blue shots... lucky shot!

There were a few rocks that stood above the water here, adding to the beauty!

At one part of the pond there was a nice dock system.  As I paddled by I noticed a sign, but could not read it from where I was.. so paddled closer.  I saw this sign... Gun Traps Set... So.. I guess this property doesn't want people on it! 

 
But on the other side of the pond.. at the top of the U, there was a very nice place to take a break.  We stopped there twice for breaks for Gladys... and to have a snack. 
 
Gladys  wanted our food.. and without being asked to do so, sat pretty!! Ha!
 
And.. she perfected the over the shoulder begging!
 
And.. I found a salamander!
 
Look at those eyes!

 
Looking back out to the pond through the trees.



After our break we got back on the water to explore the rest of the U... 
Gladys offered to paddle... just kidding... she really just wanted more food.  

 
This girl... someone said this should be my holiday card... it may be! 





Once we had gotten to the far side of the U we turned back and the loons once again made an appearance.  The lighting was a bit better for photos this time!

 
I cannot get enough of her...




I hope you enjoyed this trip to Horseshoe Pond.  

I am so glad I got to explore here, especially with the foliage.  




1 comment: