My Book!!

One opportunity that the blog has brought me is the co-authoring of a guidebook, Paddling Southern Maine! It is something in which I take a lot of pride! My writing partner, Sandy Moore, and I have created a book with 54 amazing trips that are within about an hour of Portland! Our motto as we wrote the book was wanting to 'get people to spend the day on the water and not in their cars!'

If you want more information on our book please click on the image of the book below.

Sandy and I are available to attend/present various functions/events. Please email me at mainekayakgirl@gmail.com for more information!

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog about kayaking in Maine.  I have lived in Maine most of my life and love being outdoors.  I should actually say I love being outdoors during the spring, summer, and fall seasons.  I am not a fan of winter, but the rest of the year makes the winters more tolerable. 

I have searched online for sites that can offer ideas of places for me to go kayaking.  I have found a few sites here and there and some blog entries of other bloggers, but have not found one site that listed ideas of places to go, a description and/or pictures, and directions of where the launch sites are located.  I am hoping that perhaps people seeking similar adventures will find my blog and can enjoy these spots as much as I do. 

My love of kayaking stems from the hours my mother and I spent paddling along the West Branch of the Penobscot River, up past Millinocket Maine.   Since her death in 2009, my love of kayaking has continued and I have begun exploring waterways closer to my home.  I share my love of kayaking with many of my friends.  My kayaking adventures are sometimes solo adventures, while others involve other people. 

I am not an expert kayaker.  I know what works for me and what I enjoy.  I love to go to places that are peaceful, where there are not large power boats with loud engines flying by me.  Photography is another one of my hobbies, which pairs very well with kayaking. 

I have included a link (on the right) to some sites you may find helpful.  The first is a link to Delorme maps.  I use the Maine Gazetteer to find bodies of water and boat launches.  The directions I offer here will probably use the gazetteer but may also use google maps.  I also include a link to a website about kayak safety.  It is important to make sure you know where you are going, that other people know where you are and an estimate of when you will be back (especially if you are going solo), drink lots of water and use lots of sunscreen!  (I also take a can of bug spray!)  And of course, ALWAYS have a life jacket.  I admit I do not always wear mine, but it is always with me.  If I am doing a body of water with any amount of current or when I am kayaking solo, I wear my life jacket. 

I hope you enjoy the blog and hope to hear from people who are also exploring Maine's beautiful waterways! 

I will begin posting soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment