My Book!!

One opportunity that the blog has brought me is the co-authoring of a guidebook, Paddling Southern Maine! It is something in which I take a lot of pride! My writing partner, Sandy Moore, and I have created a book with 54 amazing trips that are within about an hour of Portland! Our motto as we wrote the book was wanting to 'get people to spend the day on the water and not in their cars!'

If you want more information on our book please click on the image of the book below.

Sandy and I are available to attend/present various functions/events. Please email me at mainekayakgirl@gmail.com for more information!

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Brownfield Bog

Body of Water: Brownfield Bog, Brownfield, ME [Maine Gazetteer Map 4, B2 ]

Directions (from Portland, ME): Follow Rt 25 through Gorham and Standish.  Turn right onto Rt 113 through Hiram and Baldwin into Brownfield.  Once the speed limit decreases you will be approaching an intersection, of 113 and 160.  Take Rt. 160 on the right.  Go over a bridge and 160 turns right, you need to stay straight onto Lord Hill Rd. Just after transitioning to Lords Hill Road   take an immediate left onto a dirt road, Bog Road, that looks like a driveway.   The dirt road is very narrow with lots of ruts and bumps. The ruts and bumps seemed extra bumpy and rutty on this trip!  

Boat Launch: The put in spots are a bit narrow. (There are two places to launch.)  It's easy to get in to the water's edge but can be a bit more challenging to get into your boat than other trips I usually post.   I get into my kayak by wading into the water and sitting into my kayak as if it were a chair.  This spot was a little hard for that because the bottom was mucky! An important note - remember where the launch sites are located, once you paddle away form them, they are easily lost as they blend in so far. 

Parking: There is room for 8-9 vehicles, in a little loop/turnout area.  I think any kind of trailer system would be hard to navigate.  Much better for people who transport their kayaks on top of their vehicles.

Wildlife: Birds (many songbirds, red winged black birds, & blue heron), turtles (snapping and painted), and large game has been reported.  I saw a moose on one trip here a few years ago. 

Notes: Have you ever had one of those weeks where you just NEED to get on the water? Well, that's where I was this week.  I don't necessarily promote paddling solo, especially for people with little experience, but... I know for me, sometimes there is nothing that can ground me more than some time, alone, in my kayak.  

As I drove down Bog Road I was a little disappointed when I noticed a car in my rearview mirror with two kayaks loaded on top.  I was disappointed because I selfishly wanted the bog to myself.  When I got to the parking area there were a few other vehicles as well... most of them were bird watchers.  I saw several people with binoculars along the first part of my paddle.  Luckily the bog was big enough for everyone.  It wasn't long before I was in my own little world.  The other paddlers were exploring other parts of the bog and the birdwatchers ran out of trail! 

The bog can be hard to access later in the season when the water levels decrease.  On this trip, the water was high and I got to explore places I haven't been able to explore before.  I would advise that people stay to the left as you leave the launch sites, follow the duck boxes to keep track of where you are.  I paddled for a long time, go to the 'end' of the bog where a beaver dam blocked my passage.  

Here are some photos:

It was still a bit dreary when I first arrived...

There were some bright colors along the way...

The owners of this duck blind may want to do some repairs...

So many places to explore with higher water levels! 

Reflections!

this beaver was unhappy with human presence.... he was being watched by me and by a few birders... he slapped his tail a few times... I kept my distance! 


This pair of geese seem to be watching a nest! 





And this is where I turned around... 

The sky had gotten blue... and it was beautiful! 




This muskrat didn't stick around long! 

It was a GREAT day on the water... MUCH needed time to decompress.  

I will say that it is bug season!  The mosquitoes were thick in the parking area and dissipated once i was on the water.  I was glad I had taken sunscreen AND bug spray!!  

Happy Paddling!

No comments:

Post a Comment