My Book!!

One opportunity that the blog has brought me is the co-authoring of a guidebook, Paddling Southern Maine! It is something in which I take a lot of pride! My writing partner, Sandy Moore, and I have created a book with 54 amazing trips that are within about an hour of Portland! Our motto as we wrote the book was wanting to 'get people to spend the day on the water and not in their cars!'

If you want more information on our book please click on the image of the book below.

Sandy and I are available to attend/present various functions/events. Please email me at mainekayakgirl@gmail.com for more information!

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Panther Run/Jordan Bay

Body of Water: Panther Run/Jordan Bay on Sebago Lake

Directions (From Portland, ME):  Head west on Rt. 302 into Windham.  Continue on 302/Roosevelt Trail through Windham and into Raymond.  At the intersection of 302 and 85 (across from Good Life Market) is Raymond Veterans Memorial Park.  Park at the park and there is a launch site there. 

Boat Launch: The boat launch at the Veterans Park is a grassy area that gradually enters the water.  Water levels vary here throughout the season. 

Parking: Free.  There are spaces for 6 to 8 vehicles. 

Wildlife: Turtles, Ducks, & songbirds

Notes: I was very pleased when Bill, from Sebago Trails Paddling, invited my co-author, Sandy, and me to join his paddling season kick off paddling event.  Bill anticipated that maybe a dozen people would want to join us to paddle.  It turned out that about 40 people showed up!  It was a lot of fun. I got to see some people I have paddled with before on some of the events through meetup.com.  I also got to meet some new people.. A win win!!

Panther Run is a place I had not paddled before.  I hope to do it again!  It will likely be hard to access as the water levels lower.  There are several trees down across this beautiful little river (not sure if it is a river but calling it that!)  and if water levels were lower it would have been hard to get over many of them.  Bill said later in the season there are parts that are not paddle-able because of the rocks.  So, if you are wanting to do this one, do it soon!  (Or wait until next year!)

Another note is that the bridge on 302 that you have to go under if launching from the Veteran's Park, has low clearance.  It was a little nerve wracking, but... worth it!  Either lean forward or do the kayak limbo and you will be just fine!  I also want to mention that going out to Sebago Lake is an option.  As you paddle out you will notice several large boats at docks...large boats.  Sebago is a huge lake with a lot of boat traffic.  If you go out into the lake, be safe!   Here are some pictures!  (Most of which are also on my facebook page so that I could 'tag' Sebago Trails so that people who participated today could find them more easily.)


It's Bill! 

This is Sandy, my coauthor, in her new boat!  (38 lbs light!!)  








This is the Mill St. dam.  Apparently you can launch onto Panther Pond from the other side of the dam.  I have not launched from there, but may try it! 






I am concentrating when taking this, so... don't mistake my concentration for a grimace, I was having a GREAT time! 


This shows the clearance.  The bridge is ok, but the pipe is low, and the other side of the bridge is low... but we all made it!



I don't usually  promote specific businesses here, but Sebago Trails is a GREAT company, not just for paddling equipment, but at creating opportunities for people to paddle!  If you are looking for equipment to buy or rent, call them!

No comments:

Post a Comment