My Book!!

One opportunity that the blog has brought me is the co-authoring of a guidebook, Paddling Southern Maine! It is something in which I take a lot of pride! My writing partner, Sandy Moore, and I have created a book with 54 amazing trips that are within about an hour of Portland! Our motto as we wrote the book was wanting to 'get people to spend the day on the water and not in their cars!'

If you want more information on our book please click on the image of the book below.

Sandy and I are available to attend/present various functions/events. Please email me at mainekayakgirl@gmail.com for more information!

Friday, August 3, 2018

Stevens Pond, Liberty Maine


 Body Of Water: Stevens Pond [Maine Gazetteer Map 14 B1]



Directions: From  Portland, Take I -95 north to Exit 113, towards Augusta/Belfast.  Keep Right at the fork to be on Rt. 3 East for just over 28 miles, then turn right onto Rt 220 South for 1.8 miles, turn right onto 173/Stevens Pond Rd. Drive for 0.5 miles and the launch is on the right. 

Parking:There is space for up to 8-10 vehicles depending on vehicles and whether or not they have trailers. 


Bathroom: Porta Potty

Launch: Grooved Cement




Wildlife: Loons, Beaver, turtles, birds

Notes:
The launch area is right next to a swimming area, complete with a float for people to use.  The launch is also in front of a dam. 





After we got on the water the wind came up, so we didn't get to see all of the pond.  
We started out staying to the right shore, went around the western part of the pond then went over into  the other part of the lake.  Despite how it appears on the map... I could not paddle into the bigger part of the pond without backtracking towards the launch. 


It is a pretty area. 

Another Loon Family!  I was lucky to see a few families while in the Liberty area.  








I liked this picnic table... on a floating dock! 


This looks like it may be  paddle-able if water levels were higher, but there is a road there, so I would guess they try to keep the road dry and control the water levels with the dam...




Paddling back towards the bigger part of the pond... just around this corner...


 We didn't get far into the larger part of the pond because of the wind.  It looks like it would be a lot of fun to explore all of the nooks and crannies.  






Sorry for Gladys's ear getting in the shot! 




One of my favorite photos of my girl! 

Heading back to the launch. 

Sorry this is not as detailed as some of my other posts.  I think this could be a pretty spectacular place to explore.  I will come back here on a day, probably in the morning, where it is less windy. 
Even though I only saw part of this pond, I enjoyed it.  

Happy Paddling!



No comments:

Post a Comment