My Book!!

One opportunity that the blog has brought me is the co-authoring of a guidebook, Paddling Southern Maine! It is something in which I take a lot of pride! My writing partner, Sandy Moore, and I have created a book with 54 amazing trips that are within about an hour of Portland! Our motto as we wrote the book was wanting to 'get people to spend the day on the water and not in their cars!'

If you want more information on our book please click on the image of the book below.

Sandy and I are available to attend/present various functions/events. Please email me at mainekayakgirl@gmail.com for more information!

Monday, April 20, 2020

Runaround Pond & Tenny River, First Paddling Adventures of 2020

Welcome to the 2020 Paddling Season!!   

It is a very strange time in our history.  Very few things seem 'normal' given what is going on in the world.  Fortunately we live in a state where our governor has said that boating/paddling is still allowed, as long as people are being socially distant.  I am grateful for that!  

We are also being reminded to make sure we are practicing SELF CARE.  For those of us who paddle, we know that being on the water is one of THE best ways to take care of ourselves!   I had some fun with photoshopping some images recently and am sharing this one with you... both as a TRUTH and as a little promotion of our book, Paddling Southern Maine.  There are 54 places where you can paddle to practice Self Care! 

Of before you even think about getting out on the water this year, you MUST think about safety.  
Safety, even without this pandemic, while being on the water is so important!  
This time of year the water temps are still VERY COLD.  While it is so tempting, I would discourage people without much experience on the water to hold off a bit before getting out there.  Inexperience can lead to an increased chance of mistakes and accidents.. and with the water temps being so low, accidents are less forgiving than they are in warmer temps. 
If you are getting out on the water, please remember these safety practices: 
WEAR YOUR LIFE JACKET. 
If you have a wetsuit/drysuit, wear it.  
Go to places with which you have much familiarity. 
Let people know where you are going and what time you think you will get off the water. 
Wear something that has your emergency information on it.  (I wear a dog take I got form roadID). 
Follow all the other safety considerations/practices!  
And, of course... practice social distancing.   This seems like a no brainer when we are out on the water because it is easy to spread out, but please also think about it in relation to parking areas.  A couple weeks ago, when I went to Tenny, I had stopped by the boat launch off Gambo Road in Windham to paddle the Presumpscot.  This launch is also near a parking lot for the Eastern Trail... the parking lot for the trail was PACKED to the point where people were parking along the roads.  (Please don't do that! That's what will get the state to change their minds on allowing us access to these trails!). The parking lot for the boat launch was also busy.  I decided to go elsewhere because I did not want to be part of the risk of shutting down our access. 
Ok... That is the kickoff to the 2020 season... 
Now.. for some  photos and stories from my first two paddles of the season!  

    Runaround Pond, Durham and Tenny River, Raymond.  
(Click on those links for previous  posts with directions! 

This post will simply share some photos and narratives, but have no fear, I will be posting new places, with directions throughout the season! But because we are still early on in this season, I am sticking to places that I am very familiar with - it's just smarter! 

Runaround Pond Recreation area.  This is a place that has some trails, some picnic tables, and is a popular fishing spot.  So it was pretty busy on Sunday April 19th.  


There was no ice on this body of water!

And the Turtles were out getting some sun! 


I saw a couple of ospreys.  

These birds... not sure what kind, weer also very plentiful along the edges of the water.  


Turtles on grass, turtles on logs, turtles swimming... everywhere! 




I first saw this heron when it landed above me in a tree.  I looked up and had a spectacular view. but before I could snap a photo it flew away.  


I was tempted to take out near this bridge and portage to the other side, but did not... someday! 

I don't want to preach.. but this family... nobody was wearing a pfd, not even the young boy.  Again, the more we do to follow rules/laws, good safety sense, the more we will be able to keep having access to our waterways.  

There were a lot of people paddling today.  I usually see 2-3 other people, Sunday I saw probably 20 other people on the water!

The gorge!







Tenny River
BEcause the normal Boat Launch was still pretty frozen, I decided to launch near the culvert.  I had to go down an embankment , but it was totally doable.  




 I went through the tunnel and out to Crescent Lake...


Over in the background of this photo, up and towards the right is the boat launch off 85.  As you can see it was pretty frozen. 

The ice was breaking up, but still covered much of this part of the lake...  so I headed back to Tenny River and out to Panther Pond.   (The order of the following pics are a bit off!) 


The water is so clear! 


The sun was being hidden by the clouds.  (I got out later than I should.  This day started out sunny and clouded in!) 


The ice was still here... and it was cool to see how it was melting - the edges that were above the water formed cone shaped stalagmites/stalagtites (I don't know which drip down from the top vs up from the bottom!) It was neat! 



Just my sticker... my heart feels so much better while kayaking!!! 

Again.. be safe out there!  On and off the water! 

No comments:

Post a Comment