My Book!!

One opportunity that the blog has brought me is the co-authoring of a guidebook, Paddling Southern Maine! It is something in which I take a lot of pride! My writing partner, Sandy Moore, and I have created a book with 54 amazing trips that are within about an hour of Portland! Our motto as we wrote the book was wanting to 'get people to spend the day on the water and not in their cars!'

If you want more information on our book please click on the image of the book below.

Sandy and I are available to attend/present various functions/events. Please email me at mainekayakgirl@gmail.com for more information!

Thursday, July 16, 2020

Peabody Pond, July 16 2020

Peabody Pond, Sebago/Bridgton, Maine

Body of Water: Peabody Pond, [Map 4, B4]
Directions:  You are gonna have to do your research!  This one is in the book (and may also be posted elsewhere on the blog!!)  This is Trip # 43


Boat Launch:  Paved into sand/gravel.  It is a nice gradual launch!  (My favorite kind!)  The bottom of the pond at the launch site is sand/gravel making for an easy in and out!  (The boat launch is a bit secluded from the rest of the lake, pay attention to the camps/houses that are close to the launch to make sure you find your way back! 
 
Parking: The launch area is a U shaped area.  There is parking for 4-6 vehicles, depending on whether or not the vehicle is towing a trailer.
Bathroom: Yes, there is a porta potty next to the boat wash station. 
Wildlife: Loons (Actively nesting loons, be respectful!), heron, ducks, songbirds, BEAVER
Notes: What could possibly be better than getting on the water to kayak? Getting on the water TWICE in one day to kayak!!  It doesn't happen often, but yesterday it did!  I got up early and drove up to Boothbay to do that amazing paddle!  (Trip 14)... AND then I met up with two amazing friends to do a sunset cruise on Peabody Pond.  I LOVE this pond... I had not been here in a couple of years and there is something abut this pond that makes it feel like HOME!  (Perhaps it is because it reminds me a lot of paddling up north where I am from.) 

The launch site is in a small protected area... and after you paddle out from that the pond starts to open up to you. 


The water was CALM... though I know of some people who have tried paddling here on summer afternoons when the winds came up (as so often happens in Maine and said there were whitecaps... so always remember to pay attention to the weather!)  

The water here is so clear!  And there are a lot of rocks, bug rocks.. some just beneath the surface, so be careful as you navigate. 



 We paddled slowly... three friends who had not had time to catch up with each other very much throughout this whole Covid situation.  It was... GRAND... as one of my friends would say. 


I was telling my friends that the first time I came to this beautiful place I was greeted early in the morning by a pair of loons... and they danced under my kayak, zigging and zagging, crossing paths underneath me as I paddled... it was so cool! And because the water is so clear I watched it.. in awe!   And not long after that one of my friends spotted loons and they got really close to my kayak... I didn't get great pics, but... like this one! 




I haven't posted many pics of me in a while, so here I am!  Hi!! 

At one end of the pond there is an outlet (or maybe an inlet) stream... and we paddled as far as we could before a beaver and a beaver house and dam had other plans... 

A BEAVER collided with my friend's kayak!!  Not kidding!  We were in some weeds and she was taking some pictures and bump, splash scream!!  the beaver collided with her kayak then it slapped its tail and she screamed!  Then the beaver swam in my direction, saw me and slapped its tail again!  We decided that the beaver must have been texting of perhaps under the influence of some kind of natural high and not paying attention.  The beaver was not that big, so maybe it was a youngster who is not yet trained in all things human! 

Coming back out of the stream.. the sun shining through the trees... so pretty! 


I took SO many photos on this trip... the reflections, the light... just couldn't get enough.  






Embrace the light my friends!!!  (Don't go towards it...but embrace it!)  There is a lot of darkness in the world these days... so when you get a chance... embrace the light!  






So peaceful!  

If you have not yet been to Peabody Pond.. what are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment