My Book!!

One opportunity that the blog has brought me is the co-authoring of a guidebook, Paddling Southern Maine! It is something in which I take a lot of pride! My writing partner, Sandy Moore, and I have created a book with 54 amazing trips that are within about an hour of Portland! Our motto as we wrote the book was wanting to 'get people to spend the day on the water and not in their cars!'

If you want more information on our book please click on the image of the book below.

Sandy and I are available to attend/present various functions/events. Please email me at mainekayakgirl@gmail.com for more information!

Sunday, July 26, 2020

Sennebec Lake/St. George River, Appleton, Maine


Body of water:  Sennebec Lake/St. George River, Appleton, Maine  [Maine Gazetteer Map 14, D1]

Directions: I would say enter the address for Sennebec Lake Campground into your GPS, 100 Lodge Lane Appleton, Maine.  If you are coming from south of the lake the roadside parking is about a mile before the campground on the right.  131 is a narrow road, so take it slow so you don't miss it! 

Parking: ***Depends... I stayed at Sennebec Lake Campground and launched from the boat ramp and was able to park at the launch site.  If you are not camping at the campground and are launching from the southern end of the lake/pond, parking is roadside.  There is parking for approximately 8 cars.  



Launch: ***Depends...  launching at the campground is launching from a cement boat ramp.  Launching from the southern end of the pond, is rocky and some pond weeds.  (Locals swim there so get there early as paring will fill up on hot days!)


Fees: Not sure if  people NOT camping at the campground can launch here and if so it is likely there are fees. If launching from 131, no fees. 

Bathroom: If launching from the campground, yes, if launching form 131, no. 

Wildlife: Loons, ducks, Canada geese, deer, possible beavers and maybe otters. 

Notes:  I was very happy to be camping in the Appleton area because there were several paddling opportunities.  From my campsite the best part of the pond was the sunrise... they were beautiful!  But... to be completely honest I was not that impressed with the pond from a kayaking standpoint.  The part of the pond I could see was pretty typical for ponds... but I watched other people camping use their boats and jet skis... the jet skis, in my opinion, are not great for this part of the pond.  So... I was debating about whether or not I wanted to paddle Sennebec Lake or find another spot to explore.  I knew, according to the map, the St. George River came into the pond and it intrigued me, but I was not sure if it would be worth exploring.... Then I talked with the people who were camping next to me.  They camp there for the summer and as we were talking I explained what I enjoy about kayaking and was told I definitely needed to explore the river... so.. since I am not sure when I will return to this lake AND have access from the campground, I decided to do it!  And I am SOOOO glad I did.  The river MAY be my favorite part of this camping trip!  (Which has included Knights Pond, Pitcher Pond, Norton Pond to Megunticook Lake, and Sennebec Lake...)


 This was the morning of the paddle! 


 (This was from the day before I paddled this lake!)

This is Gladys's best friend Bella enjoying the view as we were eating breakfast.

Gladys and I struck out on the water around 6 a.m.  The forecast predicted temps in the upper 80s with lots of humidity.  My plan was to get out for a few hours then be doing something to stay cool!  Also, I don't like to keep Gladys on the water in the hottest part of the day on the hot humid days!! 



The mist was rising from the water as these geese flew overhead.  


 It was hard to capture the mist...  Gladys was watching for ducks!

As I approached the entrance of the river I looked back at the lake and it was stunning! 

The entrance of the river  starts with the pond filled with long grass.  and eventually narrows and is inviting for sure! 

This was the corner before the river.  
  
It opened to a narrow channel and the mist was rising and the droplets of the mist on the grasses/reeds were beautiful. 
  


 The moisture was beaded on all the plants...

And on the spider webs!


 It was very cool! 


Then the river starts to provide more magic! 

From here most of the area I paddled was like a tunnel.  I loved being under the canopy of the trees and the lighting was perfect!  At times I admit I got lost in the reflections. 






I don't know why , but I love this photo! The light of the reflection...

The mist took a long time to dissipate in some places.  









This was Gladys's 4th day in a row of being in the kayak.  She got a little restless towards the end, but overall she did AMAZINGLY well in the kayak!!  So happy she enjoys it too! 

Along the river there were places here the banks were pretty steep.  Around one corner I heard something and Gladys, who had been laying down sat up quickly with her nose in the air...  I knew something was nearby.  
I scanned the bushes and saw a face.. a doe!  She was beautiful.  She blended in so well with the bushes and only her head was visible.  She looked at me and then looked at Gladys and decided she wanted to go elsewhere.  She ran away and I got to see her white tail up in the air.  Gladys was very curious as to what had just happened.  I don't think she had seen the deer to be honest, but she smelled and heard her!  (I did NOT get a photo of the deer!)

After being taken into a totally different word I decided to head back.  Gladys had been a good sport and I wanted to be off the water before it got too hot... 

this is what we say when we returned to the more open area...

As I paddled I heard some buzzing... and knew bees were nearby... they were on this really cool plant... they were so busy!  Fun to watch.  


I was sad to say goodbye to this river, but know FOR SURE I will return to this river!!  



If you get a chance to do this trip, do not miss out.  
I should say that the local said there are points late in the summer where parts of the river get so shallow you have to get out and pull your kayak.  I did not find that...this time!!  

Happy Paddling! 

2 comments:

  1. Do you know how far down the river you kayaked? Beautiful pictures btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I am not sure how far down I went... but it was beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete