My Book!!

One opportunity that the blog has brought me is the co-authoring of a guidebook, Paddling Southern Maine! It is something in which I take a lot of pride! My writing partner, Sandy Moore, and I have created a book with 54 amazing trips that are within about an hour of Portland! Our motto as we wrote the book was wanting to 'get people to spend the day on the water and not in their cars!'

If you want more information on our book please click on the image of the book below.

Sandy and I are available to attend/present various functions/events. Please email me at mainekayakgirl@gmail.com for more information!

Monday, May 9, 2022

Shaker Bog, Poland Maine

Videos of this trip via TikTok: 

Come with me on a birthday Paddle!  A photo collection put together with music 

Body Of Water: Shaker Bog, Poland Maine 

 

(image from google Maps!)


Directions:  From Portland Head North on 95, get off the Gray Exit 63, Use middle Lane and turn left onto Rt. 115 for about a quarter of a mile.  Turn Right onto Rt. 26 A for about 1.2 miles.  Stay on Rt 26 for 6.8 miles.  When you approach Shaker Village slow down.  Once you get to the intersection of Rt 26 and Quarry Road, Slow WAY down! The 'road/driveway' is a dirt incline on the left. (Across from the guard rail!)

 

(image from google Maps!) 

This photo is to show the sign for Shaker Village to give you a landmark for where to park.

 

 

 Parking:  Very Limited!  1-2 vehicles - unless you are in a group and don't mind blocking each other in! There are boulders behind my truck you cannot see that block people from driving up closer to the water.

 

Launch:  You have to walk a bit to get to the water. I have a cart that was pretty handy.  I am terrible at guessing distances, but I would say less than a football field to walk from parking to water's edge!

Once at the water, step down into the bog (easy step) the bottom of the bog at the launch is gravel.  I would bet later in the season it may get mucky! A pretty easy launch!



Fees: None!

Bathroom: None!

Wildlife: Lots!  Songbirds, Canada Geese, Cormorant, Osprey, Ducks, Blue Heron, Hawks, Beaver and probably muskrats, deer and more! (see more in the notes!)

Notes: This is a great spot for paddling! I have driven by here and always thought...'some day I will paddle there.'  If you want a bird's eye view of the bog, from 26 turn onto Range Hill Road and you will get a cool view!  I have stopped here a few times and walked into the bog but this was the first time I launched and paddled.  (I feel I would be unfair if I did not mention that in those visits I did spot MASSIVE blood suckers swimming in the water near the launch... but saw none this time! #wearyourwatershoes!!!  I would not let those critters deter me from paddling here again. 

When I arrived (about 7:30 a.m.) I was surprised that there was a bit of a wind.  I was expecting super calm water, but there was a constant breeze while I was out.  I was off the water by about 10:30 at which point the wind started dying down.  

When I paddle a new spot I typically choose a direction and stay close to shore.  I did the same thing here, I stayed to my left.  But it was a bit tricky because I did not know whether or not to hug the shore or stay close to the boggy areas in the middle... so I did a lot of zig zagging - trying to not miss anything. 

Pretty early on a pair of Canada geese said hello. 


They did not seem to be nesting yet, but gathering.  There were a lot of places with great potential for nesting.  As I paddled the pond more and more geese made themselves known.  On the side of the pond that is closest to Range Hill Road there is a large piece of property, a farm, and many Canada geese gathered there.  I got to watch them flying in and landing in the field.  For some reason I thought they always had to land in water, but they were pretty skilled at landing in the grass! 


 

As I got on the water I thought the vegetation and trees in the 'island' areas were very cool. 

 

There were a lot of areas along the edges to explore.  It is one of those places that as the season progresses it will be harder to get to some of the areas because the vegetation will grow so thick.  But I had good access to many nooks and crannies!



As the sun rose I got to see some sparkles on the surface! It somehow made me feel like the season was officially ON!   (This was my third paddle of the season!)


 

The clouds were pretty cool!  And when the water was calm, reflections were cool!




 

There were a lot of red Winged Blackbirds.  I believe they are birds that migrate and it was nice to see them.  They put on a concert with all of their singing.  I don't always get lucky with getting good pics of them but I did this time!  Here is a tiktok video if you want to hear their song: Red Winged Blackbirds Singing





As I was in one of the nooks I looked up and a pair of herons were flying overhead.  It is uncommon for me to see multiple herons together.  This pair circled around me a few times.  It was really cool!  There are some videos in the first Tiktok link listed above!





At the end of the trip I saw this cormorant on a log.  I was surprised to see it there, not sure why, but I was.

 
 
There is A LOT of beaver activity in this bog! I heard a tail slap at one point but did not see a beaver.  There were at least 6 lodges along the bog.  I did not see the mounds they use to mark their territories like I have seen at other ponds.  there were a lot of fresh chews along the water and in the reeds, but they stayed out of sight!

Once the wind died down the reflections were incredible!  It makes me want to come back, maybe for a sunset paddle!



Just before I got back to the launch something caught my eye.  In some bushes I saw a duck.  It was not moving.  I was a little worried... then I was a little skeptical.  Was it a duck or a decoy???


It was a decoy! LOL.  What should I name her?


As I was loading back up I saw this sign. It is nice that we have so many agencies in Maine watching out for our waterways!


Shaker Bog, you were a lot of fun!  I will be back!  



No comments:

Post a Comment