My Book!!

One opportunity that the blog has brought me is the co-authoring of a guidebook, Paddling Southern Maine! It is something in which I take a lot of pride! My writing partner, Sandy Moore, and I have created a book with 54 amazing trips that are within about an hour of Portland! Our motto as we wrote the book was wanting to 'get people to spend the day on the water and not in their cars!'

If you want more information on our book please click on the image of the book below.

Sandy and I are available to attend/present various functions/events. Please email me at mainekayakgirl@gmail.com for more information!

Sunday, August 2, 2020

Rangely Lake, Rangely Maine

This trip was done in the summer of 2019, but just now getting time to post it!
 
Before I get to Rangeley Lake... I must tell you, if you are in the Rangely area you MUST go to Quill's Hill to watch the sunset!  It is an absolute MUST DO!






Body of Water:  Rangely Lake, Rangeley Maine [Map 28 E4]

Directions: I launched from a hand carry area within Rangely State Park.  The address of the park is: 1 State Park Rd, Rangeley, ME 04970.. They have a public launch as well as the carry launch for people camping there.  

Parking: There is a lot of parking at the state park boat launch.

Launch: The boat launch at the park is a cement launch.

Fees: Fees to enter the state park

Bathroom: I believe there are outhouses at the public boat launch. 

Wildlife:  Loons, Eagles, ducks, beavers, likely deer and moose

Notes: This was my second time in Rangely, but my first time camping and kayaking!  (My first attempt was thwarted by a broken camper!) 

Rangeley lake is big!  My friend Sheila and I only explored a small part of the lake, the lower western part.  It was the part of the lake most easily accessible to us via the campground... AND.. it was the part of the lake I wanted to explore most because it is the most remote, most unsettled...which for me, means best chances of seeing wildlife!  

This is my friend/camping buddy Sheila and her pup Lola!  Lola was a mini Gladys, white and fluffy!
(Lola recently passed away, so these pics are extra special!)



As we paddled it didn't take long before we saw an immature eagle atop a tree. 

This part of the lake was really remote... perfect for what I was looking for!

I love paddling in these kinds of areas!

Gladys was on high alert!

The water was filled with grasses making some cool patterns. 


We got on the water later in the day than anticipated and like many places in Maine, the wind comes up in the afternoon.  As we paddled the wind came up and we decided to not stay on the lake for very long.  I would definitely return here another time, and would try to get on the water early in the morning or evening!  

I am sorry this is such a short post!  it does not do justice to Rangeley Lake! If you are in the area it is definitely a place worth exploring!

No comments:

Post a Comment