My Book!!

One opportunity that the blog has brought me is the co-authoring of a guidebook, Paddling Southern Maine! It is something in which I take a lot of pride! My writing partner, Sandy Moore, and I have created a book with 54 amazing trips that are within about an hour of Portland! Our motto as we wrote the book was wanting to 'get people to spend the day on the water and not in their cars!'

If you want more information on our book please click on the image of the book below.

Sandy and I are available to attend/present various functions/events. Please email me at mainekayakgirl@gmail.com for more information!

Sunday, August 2, 2020

Upper Cupsuptic Lake, Rangeley

*** I did this trip in 2019, so some of the details are a little foggy.  I am late in posting this, but hope you enjoy it anyway! 

Body of Water:Upper Cupsuptic Lake, Rangeley Maine [Map 28 D2]

Directions:  From Rangeley State Park Campground: Turn Right onto S Shore Rd.  Drive a little less than three miles, turn right onto Rt. 17 for about 3.5 miles.  Turn Right onto Rt. 4 for about a quarter of a mile onto Rt. 16.  Drive about 5.5 miles and look for the public boat launch sign on the right.  If you go over the bridge, you went too far. 

Parking:  There is space for several vehicles here at the boat launch/parking lot.  I assume people use this launch most often to access Cupsutic Lake, the bigger lake. 


Launch:  Cement ramp
Looking under the bridge out towards the big lake from the launch. 
 

Fees: None

Bathroom: Outhouse

Wildlife: Loons, heron, likely deer, moose, other

Notes: I was excited to do this paddle.  I was hoping to see some moose!  When I arrived at the launch I hurried to get on the water because as I looked I thought perhaps those dark spots were moose... or at least one moose!  Spoiler alert... they weren't!! HA! 




This day I was on the water early and there was the morning mist that I enjoy!  
I paddled around the edges of this part of the lake and enjoyed what it had to offer. 


GLadys struggled to settle on this trip... we had to make our way to shore multiple times to see if she would go to the bathroom.  She was stubborn! 

As the sun came up we were treated to a rainbow!

As the mist cleared the reflections were beautiful!




There was a pair of loons here that were fun to watch. 

Postcard?!


While exploring the edges, I went behind an island and found some cool..sculptures!  It was pretty cool!




I enjoyed this part of Cupsuptic Lake.  I think the bigger part of the lake is probably beautiful as well, but I like the smaller, less people places... 

I would definitely return here! 



No comments:

Post a Comment