My Book!!

One opportunity that the blog has brought me is the co-authoring of a guidebook, Paddling Southern Maine! It is something in which I take a lot of pride! My writing partner, Sandy Moore, and I have created a book with 54 amazing trips that are within about an hour of Portland! Our motto as we wrote the book was wanting to 'get people to spend the day on the water and not in their cars!'

If you want more information on our book please click on the image of the book below.

Sandy and I are available to attend/present various functions/events. Please email me at mainekayakgirl@gmail.com for more information!

Sunday, August 2, 2020

Webb Lake, Weld Maine

**I did this trip in 2019

Body of Water:  Webb Lake, weld Maine [Map 19 C2]

Directions:  I launched from Mount Blue State Park/Campground, 187 Webb Beach Rd, Weld, ME 04285.  It was a great launch. 

Parking: The parking area is pretty big.  This area is used for people camping here but also accessible to the public. 

Launch: Cement ramp

Fees:  There  are fees for using the launch if you are not camping at the campground.  Click here for updated fees from the state parks. 

Bathroom: outhouse/porta potty

Wildlife: Loons, Eagles, kingfishers, heron &  likely many more birds & deer

Notes: This is a BEAUTIFUL place to paddle!

I was camping here and am so happy I took the time to get out on the water here!  

As I like to do.. I was on the water EARLY!  There is something magical about being on the water as the lake wakes up.. as the fog clears...



It was REALLY foggy... almost to the point where I debated if I should wait to paddle until it burned off a bit, but.. decided that I would follow the shore and it was the right decision! 

 The ducks were already on the water.  Gladys enjoyed watching them. 


The kingfisher is such a fun bird to watch when paddling.  It is so quick that it is hard to photograph them.  This one sat briefly and I was able to get a couple of shots!


Along the shore there were many newly hatched dragonflies.   I have been fortunate enough to see these hatch a few times.  I am always fascinated. 

As I was taking pics of the dragonflies I could hear a boat motor.  I could not see much, and hoped that I was far enough away from the main part of the water that they wouldn't hit me.  I stayed alert and eventually I could see them... but as you can see it was still wicked foggy!  They did see me too, we exchanged waves!  I was not the only crazy human out early!

As the fog lifted the visibility started to get much better.  

The lilies demanded I take time to photograph them!






I got down to the southern part of the lake... where it was quieter, less inhabitants of the human kind.  I got to this area and wonder if it is more accessible earlier in the season with higher water levels.   I don't portage when I kayak... or never have... and with Gladys it would be a lot of work.. so we just enjoyed it for a bit and then headed back towards the main part of the lake. 


Along the shore there were a couple of places that looked like 'beach' areas... this one was private:

 
 






Later in the morning I saw the boat again, this time much easier to see!

The hills around Webb Lake are beautiful! 

I noticed this guy keeping watch of everything. 


 
 

There were a few loons gathering and fishing as I paddled back.  I don't often see more than two loons together so it was fun to watch. 


I got to see a heron too! 


It was BEAUTIFUL here! 

This is a big rock near the boat launch.  Much easier to see when there is no fog! 



 Webb Lake is BEAUTIFUL!  
I really enjoyed this paddle.  I will definitely return here sometime!  
Camping here was great too!  I liked the campground a lot! 

No comments:

Post a Comment