My Book!!

One opportunity that the blog has brought me is the co-authoring of a guidebook, Paddling Southern Maine! It is something in which I take a lot of pride! My writing partner, Sandy Moore, and I have created a book with 54 amazing trips that are within about an hour of Portland! Our motto as we wrote the book was wanting to 'get people to spend the day on the water and not in their cars!'

If you want more information on our book please click on the image of the book below.

Sandy and I are available to attend/present various functions/events. Please email me at mainekayakgirl@gmail.com for more information!

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Poland, Maine: Middle and Upper Range Ponds

Body of Water:  Upper and Middle Range Ponds, Poland, Maine (You can access both ponds without portaging.) [Maine Gazetteer Map 5 A3]

Boat launch: There are two points where you can enter the water.  There is a concrete or asphalt boat launch and then there is another area that gradually slopes into the water, a bit sandy, where kayaks could easily put in. 

Directions (From Portland, Maine):  Take the Maine Turnpike, I-95, North to Gray (Exit 63)   to Rt. 26. Travel between 8 and 9 miles (after the Shaker Village on the right)  then Turn LEFT onto  Range Hill Road and drive about two miles, crossing over a bridge.  The boat landing is on the left. 

Parking: Free.  There is a small parking lot. 

Wildlife: Ducks, maybe loons, maybe a blue heron. 

Notes: When I went I had gone later in the afternoon, so I did not explore Upper Range Pond for very long, so I am not sure what you may see there for wildlife. * If you miss the turn off onto Range Hill Road for the boat landing, there is another boat landing called “Dockside” further up Rt. 26, close to the bridge/causeway separating Middle and Lower Range pond.  This is a fee based boat landing (was $5 in 2010) Located right on Rt. 26 before the causeway separating Middle and Lower Range Pond.  (I would turn around and find the public launch!)

I didn't take many pictures the day I was here, and this was before I really learned to use my camera, so these pictures are not great, but gives you an idea of what to expect. 

This was taken between the two ponds.. excuse my feet!  
 This is the bridge over the water where the two ponds connect.  The boat launch is just to the left of this picture. 

A very faded blue heron. 

No comments:

Post a Comment