My Book!!

One opportunity that the blog has brought me is the co-authoring of a guidebook, Paddling Southern Maine! It is something in which I take a lot of pride! My writing partner, Sandy Moore, and I have created a book with 54 amazing trips that are within about an hour of Portland! Our motto as we wrote the book was wanting to 'get people to spend the day on the water and not in their cars!'

If you want more information on our book please click on the image of the book below.

Sandy and I are available to attend/present various functions/events. Please email me at mainekayakgirl@gmail.com for more information!

Sunday, June 16, 2019

An Intro to Saltwater Paddling... Spurwink River to Higgins Beach...July 10th

 Many people have inquired about paddling in saltwater... We do have a few saltwater trips in the book... protected coves and some tidal rivers.  Before meeting Sandy I didn't think I would ever feel confident paddling on any kind of saltwater, but... she challenged me to try it... and she was right, some places are okay for recreational paddlers. 

As always.. it is important for people to know and respect their own skills/abilities, but... if you want to try a tidal river the Spurwink is a good place to start.  I am going to paddle this river on July 10th.  I am not guiding this trip... I am inviting other people who want to paddle this river to join me.  I posted this on my facebook page as well .   Feel free to message me there or send me an email, mainekayakgirl@gmail.com if you have questions.  

See below for more info/details!




This is a GREAT introduction to Saltwater paddling! We will ride the river out with the tide and we will land at Higgins Beach... we will have lunch and enjoy the beach then ride the river back to the launch site!

Low Tide is around 12:15 p.m. So... I would plan to launch at 10:00 (If the water gets too low we will be walking our kayaks instead of paddling!) Then we would start the return trek up the river somewhere between 2 and 3 pm.

We will 'park' our kayaks up high on the beach (and I will bring an anchor so we can make sure the kayaks don't float away should we lose track of time!)

If we are lucky the 'shipwreck' will be uncovered and we can explore it! (Sometimes it is buried in the sand!)

What to Bring: Kayak/paddleboard/canoe, pfd, paddle, WATER, lunch/snacks, beach towel and/or chair, sunscreen, wear beach attire, an extra layer or two just in case (it IS Maine after all!) frisbee, book or other ways to entertain yourself on the beach)... camera!

This will, of course, be dependent on weather. (I will cancel if it is definitely going to rain, will post it to the facebook event.) I know this is a weekday and people's availability may be limited...(I am going to take the day off!) I will look for other options throughout the summer too!

Disclaimer: As with any paddle I post about, I am inviting people to join me. I am not a guide and am not responsible for the safety of other people. I have done this trip a few times and am happy to paddle with people as an intro to saltwater paddling. (I am still learning the tides so the timing may not be perfect. If the tide doesn't turn soon enough we may have to delay returning to the launch, but we should be okay!) But again... I am NOT responsible for your safety. This is not a service I am providing, it is an invitation to kayak/paddle with me.

For directions and more info about this trip: https://kayakinginmaine.blogspot.com/2014/09/spurwink-river-cape-elizabethscarboroug.html

No comments:

Post a Comment