My Book!!

One opportunity that the blog has brought me is the co-authoring of a guidebook, Paddling Southern Maine! It is something in which I take a lot of pride! My writing partner, Sandy Moore, and I have created a book with 54 amazing trips that are within about an hour of Portland! Our motto as we wrote the book was wanting to 'get people to spend the day on the water and not in their cars!'

If you want more information on our book please click on the image of the book below.

Sandy and I are available to attend/present various functions/events. Please email me at mainekayakgirl@gmail.com for more information!

Friday, July 19, 2019

Urban Kayaking... BEANTOWN!

Important Note: I rented a  kayak in Boston through www.paddleboston.com   They have multiple places along the river with rentals. I had reached out to them in the past to ask what kayaks they rented and which launch site would be best based on what part of Boston I was in.  They were very responsive!  I encourage you to reach out to them!  (They have a HUGE fleet of boats.. Most are Old Towns.  I got to use an Old Town Loon 126... just like mine!) 

Body of Water: Charles River, Beantown!

Directions: I am awful with directions in Boston... fortunately my friend lives in Boston and he got us to the launch!

Parking: Not applicable in this case, for me.  I took public transportation to the area!  I would LOVE to find a place where I could park and bring my own kayaks down... but parking my truck in Boston is hard enough... parking in Boston WITH a kayak... probably highly unlikely!!  So renting was an awesome option! 

Launch: I was nervous about this... we got in... and out off a dock!  eek!  My experience with this has been limited... But they helped and I didn't see anyone fall in...more importantly I did not fall in... so I guess it worked!  (I did ask for a second person to hold the back of the kayak in addition to the person holding the front in hopes of reducing the chance that one end of the kayak would swing away from the dock and I would fall in!  They agreed and I think that helped!  Gonna be honest.. my getting in was more graceful than getting out... but not falling into the Charles... #winning!) 

Fees: The rate was $16 per hour per kayak.  (Pay when you return)  They also rented paddleboards, tandem kayaks, and canoes.  There were other people on the water using wind surfing things.. but I think that was from a different company.

Bathroom: I didn't notice any bathroom facilities associated with this business.  I would say find a place nearby, on your way to the launch!

Wildlife: BOSTON TOURISTS... are pretty wild!  There were a lot of them!! Ha!  And BOSTON NATIVES!  We met a guy who has a season's pass from this paddling company and from what I gathered it is unlimited access... he said it is great!  That is a pretty sweet deal I suppose!  I wonder if the membership means you can launch from any of their launches... hmmm... but apparently the membership rate doubles after the first year... get you hooked then make you pay!  ha!  Oh.. and I saw a Cormorant and a duck! 

Notes:  Kayaking in Boston is something I have wanted to do for a long time!  I am so glad I got the chance to do it.  Boston is a city I haven't spent much time in... I was here YEARS ago for some bachelorette party... truthfully I cannot even remember whose party... that's terrible! I remember getting a free drink at a bar because the bartender told me I looked Irish!  I have chaperoned a trip or two here... which meant constantly counting heads, not super enjoyable... then Boston has been, for me, a destination for medical things... I had a rare condition in my knee and the expert was here in Boston.  So I came here for surgery, was here in the hospital for a week, and returned regularly for follow ups... then.. my doctor also operated on my dad's back... (long story!)  But that meant multiple trips here and an extended stay when Dad was in the hospital. 

So... my association with Boston has not been positive.  Boston is a city that is pretty close to where I live and I enjoy cities... but have not had time to enjoy Boston.  (Well.. except that DMB concert I saw at Fenway.. THAT was pretty fun!)  This week I have been here for a conference.  I have a friend who lives here and fortunately had time to show me around a bit.  Kayaking was my priority!!  I am grateful to my friend for coming with me and getting me to the launch!! 

Ok... here we are just after we got in the kayaks!  (Oh I should say I used their equipment, including life jacket... it was fine.. but I kept looking for the pocket that is in MY pfd, where I keep my phone, and it wasn't there!! lol) 



We got out onto the river and looking to the left looked towards the Museum of Science. 


Looking to the right, we went under Longfellow Brigde and got to see the skyline of Boston.  

 Before we got on the water we had to pass a safety quiz.  
(They gave us a cheat sheet!)  Basically it was about being smart and being VERY aware of other watercraft on the water.  Sailboats have a hard time steering and reacting quickly so the info is to get out of their way!  Then the sculling, crew, rowers?? Not sure of the proper term.. they go fast and don't steer easily.  Those were IMPORTANT things to note...

 

This was a great way to see the city! 

That's Andy!  It may be his forst shout out in the blog!  Hi Andy! 

This part of the Charles is not underused... that is for sure!  There were people sailing, windsurfing,  paddling kayaks, SUPs, and Canoes!  I loved the colors of these small sailboats. 

There's one of the crew teams... I had to move fast to get out of their way!  I want to try this!! 



Sailboats.. coming at me!  


Cool artistry at Longfellow Bridge!  










 THE CITGO sign!!


BIRD!

MIT!




 DRAGON BOATS?!!  Yes!  THIS was cool to see.  I am curious and may need to learn more!



 This is taken from the trailer where we paid.. looking back at the put in spot...


If you are in Beantown AND you love kayaking.. I would say it is worth it to paddle here!  The river is long and we only paddled a short distance, but it was very cool! 
Urban kayaking... it's a bit different paddling while sirens and vehicles are rushing around...but... it was a great way to see the city!  I wonder what other cities I should go to, just to kayak?!! 
Happy Paddling!

No comments:

Post a Comment