Sunday, June 2, 2013

Windham, ME: Little Sebago


I did post this location before, but worth re-posting.  

Body of Water: Little Sebago Lake, North Windham, ME [Maine Gazetteer Map 5, C2.5]




Directions (From Portland, ME): Take Rt. 302 North into North Windham. Pass through the shopping area of Windham, with two lanes going in each direction. After  last light before 302 narrows into one lane, turn right onto Angler's  Rd. (Adirt road across from Whites Bridge Rd.) Follow the signs to the boat landing. The road is where that SUV is coming out, right before Thatchers Restaruant.  You will turn onto a dirt road and will be on that road for  a couple of miles.  Stay on the main road and follow boat launch signs.  





Boat Launch: Public Boat Launch, concrete.  Room for bigger boats to launch. 






Parking: Free. Decent sized parking lot with spaces designed for vehicles hauling trailers.  They ask trailer-less vehicles park along the side of the parking area to leave room for the vehicles with trailers. There is often a volunteer there on duty, to inspect boats as they come and go, looking for milfoil.  

Wildlife: Ducks, loons,  and maybe a bald eagle

Notes: This is a great spot for people who like the wider, more open areas.  Lots of area to explore.  If it is windy, it can get pretty choppy.  Today it was really hot with a bit of a breeze.  There were times the paddling was hard because I was paddling into the wind, but worth it to beat the heat.  I also would recommend wearing your bathing suit and take a rope to secure your kayak to shore while you take a dip.  I found a few places that were crystal clear with a sandy bottom  or small rocks on the bottom, perfect for swimming.  There are many islands to explore.  A great place for a hot day paddle!  


I wasn't on the lake long when I came upon this loon.  This is the first loon I have gotten close to this year.  I came upon a few during my paddle today.  




This lake is called Little Sebago, but it is not little!  Lots of paddling to be had!  

There are lots of areas of the lake to explore, many islands and coves.  




This shot is a little goofy, but it was taken just as the loon was going for a dive.  

It resurfaced and decided to do a little preening.  

So beautiful!  (Yes that is my life vest on my kayak not on me... I do recommend wearing one, especially if you are inexperienced.)  



I love the sparking water in this shot.  



I got to see the bald eagle, but didn't get a great picture, but he was soaring, a lot of fun to watch.   

This is one of the places I went in swimming.  The bottom was pretty sandy... and pulling my kayak up on shore was easy.  


A nest...


It was a hazy day... and the clouds were beautiful... 




Again, this is a great spot if you want to swim in between some paddle time... lots of shoreline that is uninhabited.  
Enjoy! 



No comments:

Post a Comment