My Book!!

One opportunity that the blog has brought me is the co-authoring of a guidebook, Paddling Southern Maine! It is something in which I take a lot of pride! My writing partner, Sandy Moore, and I have created a book with 54 amazing trips that are within about an hour of Portland! Our motto as we wrote the book was wanting to 'get people to spend the day on the water and not in their cars!'

If you want more information on our book please click on the image of the book below.

Sandy and I are available to attend/present various functions/events. Please email me at mainekayakgirl@gmail.com for more information!

Sunday, April 25, 2021

Gladys's First Paddle of the Season! Tenny River


Hello Paddlers! 

I was away on vacation this week.  I went to Denver.  It was a great trip, although the weather there was colder, and snowier than it was here!  Go figure!  


While I was away I missed Gladys like crazy!!! Though I did have two other dogs who were content to give me some love!  

In the meantime, Gladys was with my parents and was spoiled with lots of love and bacon.  I think sometimes she equates bacon with love!  
 
Anyway... I got back on Friday afternoon and was so happy to be reconnected with my girl.  I am so grateful for the love and care she got while I was gone.  (My dad and stepmom are pretty awesome!) 
Saturday I had planned to relax and get my kayak cradles back on the truck as well as adding a second set of cradles for when I transport both my single and tandem kayaks.   (And will be helpful when I transport other people's kayaks.) 

Gladys was happy to be outside with me while I puttered.  Our friend Donna came by and saw that I had my tandem up on the cradles (I was making sure they were spaced out properly.) And asked, "Where we going?"  Ha!  It didn't take much arm twisting for her to convince me to go out for an afternoon paddle.. but since Gladys and I had been separated for a bit, I could not go without her!  

A couple weeks ago I had her sit in the kayak in the driveway, just to refresh her memory.  
 
She got right in and laid down.   I was happy to see that, and knew she would do well!  
So we got to the launch site for Tenny River.  (Click here for more details about how to get there.) 
 
She seemed ready to go - and was a little impatient even!!  When I told her to, she jumped right in the kayak and waited so patiently as I got in.  
 


She settled in pretty easily.  I had forgotten treats, which I always try to have on hand for her... but luckily I Had some beef jerky that helped her throughout the trip when she did get a little antsy. 

Look at that sky over Crescent Lake!

 

Donna got this photo of me going through the culvert.  I love this pic!

Tenny River never disappoints me... The sun was a a great angle and the reflections were awesome!  

This is Donna - in the midst of the trees and water!



We enjoyed exploring Tenny.  I got to see a decent size snapping turtle, but did not get a photo, but still cool to watch.  Gladys did well, she got a little antsy a couple of times, but settled back down.
As we approached Panther Pond she seemed to be in a good place and enjoyed looking out at the sun getting low in the sky. 

On the way back from Panther, Gladys got up close and personal... realizing the beef jerky was in my life jacket pocket that she hoped to get to on her own.  (Denied!) 
 
Donna was ahead of us a bit and this photo just had to be taken.  Look at that tranquility!


Not long after that we caught up to Donna and Gladys heard some rattling of something... and the two of them had a conversation about snacks and sharing....

Donna never says no to Gladys.  Ha! 

The sun was setting and made for pretty amazing lighting on this girl.  She is beautiful.  (I know I am a bit biased!)
 

 
Another photo that shows the amazing scenery!
 
Gladys gave me this look... and I am pretty sure she was saying, "So... you go away and leave me for a week... you come back with smells of other dogs... and you think THIS is gonna make up for it?" 
 
I reassured her she was the only dog for me. and gave her some jerky.  She knows she is spoiled! 

 
Returning to Crescent Lake through the culvert...


We paddled back to the launch site and she gave me this look... 
"Done so soon?"  
Oh baby girl... we have so many adventures in store this season!

I have plans to explore new places and will of course share them with you.  For now, as water temps are still low, I go to familiar places.  I hope if you are getting out to paddle you are taking safety precautions, remember dress for the water temp, not the air.  
 
I will be 'hosting' a couple of group paddles this summer, follow me on Facebook, Mainekayakgirl, for these events.  

And if you want to see some fun videos of our adventures... Gladys and I have both joined TikTok! 
I am MaineKayakGirl and she is MaineKayakdog.  
If you follow us there, say hello!  




No comments:

Post a Comment