My Book!!

One opportunity that the blog has brought me is the co-authoring of a guidebook, Paddling Southern Maine! It is something in which I take a lot of pride! My writing partner, Sandy Moore, and I have created a book with 54 amazing trips that are within about an hour of Portland! Our motto as we wrote the book was wanting to 'get people to spend the day on the water and not in their cars!'

If you want more information on our book please click on the image of the book below.

Sandy and I are available to attend/present various functions/events. Please email me at mainekayakgirl@gmail.com for more information!

Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Bear Pond, Waterford, Maine

 

 

Body of Water: Bear Pond, Waterford, Maine  (Gazetteer Map 10 E4)

Directions:  from Portland, Maine, Head out of Portland on Rt. 302, through Windham and Raymond, Casco and into Naples.   As you come into Naples, at the traffic light near the grocery store there, you will be turning Right onto Rt. 35.  Drive for about 14 miles and you will come to a funky intersection and the pond will be visible.  To head to the picnic area (where I launched, take a sharp left turn and the picnic area will be on the right.  If you want to launch from the boat launch stay on 35 for a bit longer, maybe a half or three quarters of a mile on the left. 


Launch Option A: I launched at the Bear Pond Picnic Area - as I got to that spot first.  There is a gradual slope into the pond and the bottom of the pond at the launch is sandy. This area is very close to the Bear River.  The launch area is on the right, where the sticks are.  The sticks have been removed from the launch.  (Not by me, but I was going to move them when I returned!)

 



Parking here is off the road - a gravel/grassy area.  I am not sure how many cars are allowed to park here at one time, but I could see 3-4 vehicles easily, maybe more depending on what the town allows.  



Launch Option B: There is a launch on the eastern side of the pond, right off Rt. 35.  On google maps it is listed as an observation area.  The launch there is a cement ramp, a but of a steep incline

Parking - is on the shoulder of Rt 35, limited to 1-2 vehicles.    

(Sorry, no pics!)

I did not see any signs prohibiting people form launching at the picnic area, but as the sign says, if you launch here, or anywhere for that matter, Leave No Trace.  



Wildlife: Turtles, ducks, Canada geese likely other waterfowl.  

Notes: I am house sitting/dog sitting for a few days for a friend.  She had once mentioned Bear Pond to me as a nice pond that I would probably enjoy paddling.  This is a pic of Bella and Gladys, Bella is our host while we are up here. 

 May be an image of dog

Bear Pond is a very nice pond, but not one I would paddle often. That Is a statement that needs clarification… I live over an hour from Bear Pond.  Because of its size and because there was a good amount of traffic noise as the pond rests along Rt. 35,  this is not a destination pond for me - meaning I would not drive over an hour to paddle Bear Pond.  Now - if I lived closer to this pond, I would probably say this would be a great place to go after a work day - a short paddle with beautiful views!  I can see that this would be a great place for beginner paddlers as well.  


As I got closer to the picnic area I was driving on Rt. 35 I kept catching a glimpse of a river and was hoping I could access it from the pond.  Long time followers know I prefer the more remote waterways, and the river looked like my kind of place!  




I got to the picnic area and despite it being April 15, I was not the first person to have gotten there to paddle that day.  There was a man on a kayak, shirtless and PFD-less.  Yes it was a warm day - especially for April 15th, but - being out on the water this early means water temps are still low.  You are solo and not wearing a life jacket… I just do not see that as smart.  But - chances are if you are a blog follower, you are an adult, and are responsible for yourself… Be smart, do your research and make the choices you want to make.  



Ok - now about the pond.  I got things unloaded and got Gladys geared up with her life jacket - She looks so pretty in pink!!  Of course I wanted to check out the river, so I headed left once I left the launch.  Right away I saw a pair of mallard ducks - they were eating something that caused them to be bottoms up in the water, it was fun to watch.  Then we paddled under Rt. 37 and someone driving by gave us a nice wave!

 


I really liked this part of this pond/river.  It was fairly narrow, only a couple of houses and there was a pair of ducks - not sure of the kind and did not get their photo, they were beautiful.  (I will try to identify them before posting!) A lone Canada goose stayed far enough ahead of us that we didn’t seem to disturb it.  

There were many turtles along the logs and Gladys and I enjoyed watching them.  At one point a few of them jumped into the water upon our approach, but one of them was determined to be brave and return to its log.  It swam close to the surface and kept coming towards us, sticking its head out of the water then ducking back down and swimming closer.  We watched it for quite a while. I know I post a lot of turtle photos - I am enamored with them!  


 


There were some trees starting to blossom too, I think this may be maple??


 

Gladys heard a squirrel in a tree...



As we paddled a little further I heard rushing water.  Not knowing the area I approached with caution, knowing there was either a waterfall or a dam ahead.  There was a dam.  We paddled close to it, but there was a decent current so we were very cautious. 


 

It was a cool area, but I admit I was disappointed that it cut down on the time we could spend in this river area.  I need to find out if there are other places to access the rest of the river, that is a place I think I would return to as a destination!!  




We paddled back from the river and out onto the pond.  On the eastern part of the pond, above Rt. 35 is a pretty cool rock face.  It was definitely something that catches your eye.  


We paddled around the western part of the pond and got to watch a group of young men putting docks into the water.  They seemed to be doing a good job and I am sure the camp owners appreciate it!!  

There were quite few camps along the shoreline.  I bet they get an interesting sunrise over that rock face! As we headed further into the pond, my friend called and told me she was on her way to her house, a little earlier than I expected.  So I decided to head back to the launch and meet her at her house. I did not get to paddle the pond in its entirety.  On our way back I paused at this huge rock, a glacial erratic, in the water.  It made for a great backdrop for a couple of photos.  



As with most ponds in Maine - this is a beautiful spot.  I do think it’s a cute pond to explore, especially if you are looking for a quick paddle.  I suspect that when the camps are inhabited my favorite time here would be early morning as people are just waking up and the traffic noise would be minimal.  















No comments:

Post a Comment