My Book!!

One opportunity that the blog has brought me is the co-authoring of a guidebook, Paddling Southern Maine! It is something in which I take a lot of pride! My writing partner, Sandy Moore, and I have created a book with 54 amazing trips that are within about an hour of Portland! Our motto as we wrote the book was wanting to 'get people to spend the day on the water and not in their cars!'

If you want more information on our book please click on the image of the book below.

Sandy and I are available to attend/present various functions/events. Please email me at mainekayakgirl@gmail.com for more information!

Monday, April 17, 2023

Happy Paddling!! 2023 Kickoff

 Another New Kayaking Season!! 2023! 


Hello!!!  Are you as excited as I am for another kayaking season? I am always ready for kayaking season, but this year, for some reason, I felt like I needed it more than ever.  The winter was strange - I should have paddled longer into the fall and early winter with some of the warm days we had, but didn’t.  Then once winter hit, I felt like it hit hard.  Remember that one weekend where is was crazy cold? The one where we were all reminding each other to make sure our furnaces were working and reminding each other to stay warm.  I remember it - my thermostat died The day before the temps were supposed to plummet.  Thanks to YouTube I was able to repair it and it worked for the rest of the winter!!  

But something else was going on - it wasn’t just feeling like winter was ongoing… psychologically I needed to get out on the water. It’s something that I am sure some can relate to - it is something in my being… that calls to me.  I think some people have that feeling about the ocean and warm beaches - probably why traveling south during February is so popular!  There is just something, for me, about being on the water.  It’s freedom, relaxation, escape - it’s being able to push everything else out of my mind and be in the moment.  It’s finding the details that are intricate and beautiful… away from having to be detail oriented in my job.  It’s medicine for whatever ails me.  

I feel like I did not get out as much as I wanted to last summer and was wondering why.  Then a friend reminded me, a year ago I was looking for a new job…preparing for interviews….then got a new job…had to wrap up things at my old job and started the new job at full speed.  

That transition was very important to me in many ways and I needed to put my energy into it.  But now that I am settling in to the new job - I feel like I have better balance in my life and have the mental space to research and plan new trips as well as returning to some of my favorites.  So, if you have a place you think I should explore, please let me know!!  Remember you can find me on social media @mainekayakgirl on Facebook, Instagram and TikTok.  You can also email me, mainekayakgirl@gmail.com.  

It has been nice to have some warmer days and I have to say my daffodils have made me very happy this spring!!


I am writing this entry on April 17th and am excited to share that so far I have been on FIVE paddling adventures!  Tenny River, Runaround Pond, twice, the Presumpscot, launched from Gambo Road and a new to me spot, Bear Pond in Waterford.    (I will share about them here in future posts to remind about them or introduce them to you, if you are new to the blog.)


I do want to remind people about safety as you paddle, especially if you are getting out now, before water temps are considered ‘safe.’  There are a lot of safety precautions you should take.  I will share some here, but I do so as a paddler offering advice.  I encourage you to do your research about how to stay safe when paddling, in cold water and warm for that matter.  And while it may seem a little brash to say it - we are each responsible for our own safety/welfare while paddling.  When I go paddling with groups of people, even if I have invited people to join me, I remind everyone, I am not their mother, I am not a certified guide of any kind.. I am a person who loves kayaking and being outside- your safety is your responsibility.  


 That being said… I do think there are some things we all need to do… and if I am every preachy - it is about these few things… (well and when I remind people to not get too close to the seals when paddling - I get really fired up about that!) When I think about safety when paddling I think of this: what happens if something happens?

None of us want to think it will happen to us, but we are all at risk of it happening to us, right? right.  As I have highlighted in the past in the book, the blog and an article, routine is very important to safety.  Before I even get on the water I have a routine: 


 

1 - Put on my RoadID necklace.  This necklace has a dog tag on it.  The dogleg has on it: my name, my emergency contacts, and allergies I have to medicine.  I got it from ROAD ID (LINK WEBSITE) IF something happens and I get hurt and cannot communicate, this necklace gives information to people who are trying to help me. I am sure there are other companies out there, but this was a great option for me.



2 - Before getting out of my truck at the launch site (Sometimes sooner if the cell signal at the launch site is bad) I text someone, usually my dad, to let him know where I am, what launch site I am using and an estimate of how long I will be on the water.  Once I get close to that time I text him again, letting him know if I am still on the water or if I am almost done.  I also text him when my feet are on the ground and I am loading up.  I do this every time I paddle solo, every time.  When paddling with a group, I do send a text to let him know I am kayaking that day with friends, but don’t give him as much of a play by play.  We owe it to our loved ones to let them know where we are going to be and if something happens, and they don’t hear from us, they know where to send help.  



3 - Life Jacket!  I know many people who kayak without a life jacket.  They say it is uncomfortable or too hot.  I used to feel that way too.  When Mom and I used to kayak we didn’t wear our life jackets - we had them with us, but weren’t wearing them.  I look back at that and feel very lucky that we never tipped over!  I am not sure I would have my wits about me and be able to get the life jacket.  As far as comfort goes - invest in one that IS comfortable. Keep Looking! Other than your kayak itself and your paddle, finding a life jacket that fits may be your most expensive piece of gear.  But remember, it will last!  The one I have now is very comfy.  I like it a lot and use it to store my keys, a headlamp, and more.  (Mine has pockets!). As far as it being too hot… well I look at it like this.. I am kayaking - If I get too hot, I can cool off by getting out and swimming, by dumping water on myself or by having a water gun fight with other paddlers.  And here is the best tip to avoid overheating while kayaking… go early in the day or later in the evening.  Avoid midday!  



 4 - Stay hydrated - bring lots of water - more than you think you will need.  You may be out longer than expected and temps may be warmer than you thought!

5- KNOW YOUR ABILITY & LIMITATIONS - this probably should be first on the list, but… here it is.  If you are inexperienced - do not say yes to going on a group paddle that will likely last all day, do not say yes to places with currents or tides.  Go to places you know you can handle.  This is true about distance as well - remember that you have to have enough energy to paddle back to the launch site - so do not go beyond your limits.  If you are new to the sport, start slowly, go to small ponds. It’s great to ask other paddlers to show you some of their spots, but be honest with your level of experience.  People are willing and often excited to share this sport with new folks.  Also know where your comfort level lies.  I am not comfortable going out into the open ocean.  I am not comfortable going on a waterway with any rapids, even class I.  Just like anything in life - we need to set our boundaries!  

There are other smart things to do that just make good sense - use sunscreen!  And if you are like me and hate the idea of ticks - use a repellent like Flick the Tick.  Flick the Tick is a Maine, women owned business, but that is not why I promote their product.  I promote it because it is good and works!!    FLICK THE TICK


Some other tips I will share…
One that always makes me think of my friend Rico, from Colorado.  I shared this with him when I introduced him to kayaking and he says he thinks of it often!  When possible, start your trip going against the current, if there is one.  So that on the way back, when you are a little more fatigued, the current is helping you out.  This applies to fresh water streams/rivers.  (Timing the tide for the ocean is a bit more complicated!).
Bring snacks - snacks that you can easily eat while paddling.  The other day I was with some friends and asked if anyone wanted to stop to have lunch or a snack.  Everyone said they had been snacking while paddling!  We were at a place where there is no good spot to take a lunch break, so snacking while paddling was the best option!
Loading/unloading your kayak/canoe/SUP - Find a routine that works for you! There is not one specific way that is best for everyone - you need to find what works for you.  However, we all need to make sure that you are using straps to tightly secure your craft!!  
I have a truck with a TrakRack system, that includes Malone Kayak Cradles (INSERT LINK) this works for me because I am very tall and can easily (most days) get my kayaks up and down pretty easily.  If you want to watch a quick video of me loading my single kayak, you can watch this TikTok Video.

 
I also have a bed extender that I sometimes use if I am transporting multiple kayaks or if I am feeling old and not wanting to lift my kayaks over my head.  The bed extender works really well.  On some trips I have been known to transport multiple kayaks all at once and the bed extender has been great for that.  I put two kayaks on top of my racks then up to four kayaks in the bed of my truck using the extender.  (Making sure each individual kayak is secure! That is important!).



 

I have some vertically challenged friends who have different systems ranging from the Hullavator, to using a bed extender on their SUV, and even have one friend whose little kayak fits inside her vehicle when the passenger seat is folded down!  
Find what works for you - just make sure your kayak, canoe or SUP doesn’t come off your vehicle and hit anyone while going down the road.  If you aren’t sure how to do it, reach out to folks in your area who can help - local outfitters - even if you are not buying something, will likely give you some tips.  Don’t be afraid to ask for help.

  
Having the right craft for you… this is a brand subject and you need to do research.  If you want to paddle in the ocean regularly, you are going to need something different than if you are planning to do more lakes and ponds… again - your responsibility to figure that out.  I think a good rule of thumb should be - what craft can you handle loading/unloading and carrying solo? My single kayak is almost 60 pounds, my tandem is closer to 75.  I am able to get them up on my rack system by myself, using leverage.  Once I have them off the truck, if I am parked away from the launch site I use a cart to pull my kayaks so that I don’t hurt myself trying to carry them too far.  I believe that everyone should be able to load/unload and carry or have a system to carry/cart your craft to the water yourself.
That being said - typically when I paddle with a group we are all willing to help each other get our boats to the water, including helping to unload and reload onto our vehicles.  It’s great when everyone is helping everyone, but frustrating when some are helping and others are expecting to be helped without helping others.
People know when I do a group paddle, especially if it is on a trip I have invited people to do, I make an effort to help people, especially if there are things they can’t reach without a ladder - I can help with straps etc.  Honestly, I don’t mind helping,  but I do not want to be expected to do that all the time, every time… if that makes sense.  It is not fun when people come to a group paddle and expect that the other people in the group do it for them.  
Again - get equipment and find a routine that allows you to be independent with loading/unloading/reloading.  And if you need help - ask, and make sure that you are offering help in return! When it is a team effort it is great, when it isn’t, it doesn’t set a good tone.
 

Parking - make sure to adhere to the parking signs in the area where you are launching and be considerate of others who may be wanting to park there as well.  
If you are with a group, and there is space to do so, park in front of each other’s vehicles.  We did this the other day at Runaround Pond.  We parked two vehicles deep, knowing we were all paddling together and would not be blocking each other in.  This left space for other vehicles to park in other open spots.  
If you know parking is going to be limited, consider carpooling and also have an alternate plan - a different location to paddle - if parking is full, you still want to get out on the water!
 

Have a back up plan! Always.  You could have a great paddling plan for the day and for one reason or another it doesn’t work out, have a back up plan.  Things that could cause you to need a back up plan include, but are not limited to:
Weather - you show up and there are whitecaps on the water - have a more protected place to paddle in mind.  If thunder storms are in the area, abort mission!
Parking, as I said above, many of the beautiful paddling places have limited parking - you may get there and not have a spot.  Please do not park on people’s private property, don’t park where it says not to, etc.  Have a second or even third place to go.  
 

Be visible! It is important you can be seen by other people also using the waterways.  This is crucial when on waterways with a lot of boat traffic.  Have you heard this joke: What do boaters on Sebago call kayakers? Answer: Speedbumps.  Ok - it’s a bad joke, but there is truth to it.  Boats get going fast, sometimes too fast, and do not see the paddling folks as easily as they see other boats.  (This is one of many reasons I prefer smaller waterways with minimal other users!) Here are a few things you can do:
Have a kayak/canoe that is a bright color that does not blend in with the water.  
Put reflective stickers on your paddle blades
Have a flag on your kayak (I do not have one, but have seen people who have them.  If I paddled on bigger lakes I would get one!
Assume the boats don’t see you and move to the shore when possible.  From personal experience - when boats are pulling out from their docks, they do not seem to have great visibility.  If you see folks getting ready to pull away from their dock - maybe get in closer to shore, and wait for them to launch - and maybe say hello so they are aware of you.  


Wow - I did not mean to go off on that tangent, but I do think it is a good reminder, as we start a new season to keep safety in the forefront of our minds so that we can enjoy this amazing sport.  I hope to hear from you this season, sharing your adventures and letting me know if you visit places I have featured on the blog or in my book.  Happy Paddling!

Links:
Paddling Southern Maine available at local bookstores, LLBean and Amazon! 


Flick the Tick YES I use this product and love it!! 


Road ID - to find multiple options for having emergency contact info on hand.  

Other ways to find me and Gladys! 


Facebook Mainekayakgirl

Instagram: Mainekayakgirl       Mainekayakdog

 

TikTok:   Mainekayakgirl  MaineKayakDog




No comments:

Post a Comment