My Book!!

One opportunity that the blog has brought me is the co-authoring of a guidebook, Paddling Southern Maine! It is something in which I take a lot of pride! My writing partner, Sandy Moore, and I have created a book with 54 amazing trips that are within about an hour of Portland! Our motto as we wrote the book was wanting to 'get people to spend the day on the water and not in their cars!'

If you want more information on our book please click on the image of the book below.

Sandy and I are available to attend/present various functions/events. Please email me at mainekayakgirl@gmail.com for more information!

Monday, April 17, 2023

Shirley Bog & Camping in my Truck! October 2022

 Forgot to Post this last fall!!!  I hope you use this as inspiration to get here this season!!

 

Body of Water:  Shirley Bog (West Shirley Bog) Maine Gazeteer [   ]  

Directions:This was a tricky drive - because I listened to my GPS!!  I literally drove down what was marked as a rod, but was actually someone's driveway!  Ha! Always have your maps handy!  What I would suggest is finding your way to the Shirley Town Hall.  Once there head towards the Shirley Mills Cemetery... (Map below from google!)

Stay on that road and just keep driving.  The road is a dirt road and is pretty narrow.  I forget how many miles, because I forgot to post this sooner than now... 

 

 


Parking: Park along the road, but make sure to pull off to leave room for others, people driving by and the many ATVs that use this area. 

Launch:  Dirt, gradual slope into the bog.


Fees: None

Bathroom:  None

Wildlife: Birds, likely a lot of other wildlife too, I suspect moose frequent here, but will have to return to find out!! 

Notes:  In June I had the chance to go to Greenville and I really enjoyed it.  I paddled Prong Pond and it was beautiful.  I knew it was a place I needed to return for additional kayaking and the Shirley Bog was at the top of my list.  This bog is a ways from my house, too much to really do in a day. It's about 3 hours one way, so I decided to try to do an overnight camping trip, sleeping in my truck.  We packed up and hit the road.  


 

 


 

I had never before camped IN my truck... so this was a first.  I was grateful for the moral support of a good friend and her daughter who have slept in their vehicle a few times.  Our first stop was the bog... so we got there late morning... and next time I do this trip, I will launch early!! The launch was pretty easy and the view from the launch was beautiful!

   

Of course Gladys was along for the ride!!  I will say she struggled on this trip.  Before launching I had not walked her around enough and she had to go to the bathroom... and this is a paddle that is not conducive to needing to stop to get out of the kayak for any reason.  So.. other than her being a pain in the butt... this paddle was gorgeous!!  


The colors were really popping!  (This was the first weekend of October I think)

The water was very calm and was an easy paddle - very little to no current. 



This really does seem like prime moose viewing area and I can't wait to return!



Stop #578 for Gladys... she was not happy - ha!  At one point she found a very black mud hole to dig in and made me even happier!!

As you can see the views were beautiful and what a serene area! If I lived in this area I think this would be a go to spot!


The clouds were beautiful!













On the way back there was a little wind, but nothing too crazy. 



I love this paddling duo, a mother and daughter!  You know that makes me think of all the time my mom and I spent together kayaking.  It makes my heart happy!




It was so pretty - Truly - a beautiful spot!





 
After paddling we went into Greenville and enjoyed some tropical beverages on the deck! 
 
Then it was time to get set up to camp for the night!  
We headed to Lily Bay State Park.  

 

It was beautiful! 

 

 

This was my set up... I had a special air mattress designed for the back seat of a truck... fold the seat down and blow this up... it has supports under it to keep it up.  

 

Gladys was sleeping in the front of the truck.. and she did great.  

 

The set up in theory was pretty good, but it did not work well!  Ha!  The air did not stay in the air mattress... so at some point not super long after heading to bed, I got up and folded the back seat up and tried the air mattress on the floor of the back seat of the truck ... Remember how I told you Gladys was unsettled while paddling... well. to help keep her in the kayak I had her between my legs at one point and was squeezing her a bit so she would not jump out.  Well... me - 6'6" curled up in the back seat area of my truck - small area... started having leg cramps... and there were very few options for stretching out!  It was kind of funny in a painful sort of way!  Ha!  Let's just say I did not get much sleep!  But I did move into the drivers seat and reclined it... and was able to get some rest... Not the ideal set up... but it did not deter me!  I will figure something out because I like the idea of being able to go someplace for a night to get out kayaking more.  Yes I have my camper, but to set up my camper, it needs to be at least a three night stay to make it worth it!  Stay tuned for more truck camping!  


The next morning it was a little chilly and breezy and we decided we would go out for breakfast and head home instead of going for another paddling adventure.  We struggled to find an open breakfast spot so we tailgated instead.  My friend made her amazing oatmeal pancakes! 

 


 

  

The pancakes were delicious!!  And we did share a little with Gladys even though she had been a pain in my butt the day before.... Good thing she is so cute!!! Ha!  (I know it was my fault not hers, for not walking her long enough before we got in the kayak after a three hour drive.)  

1 comment: