My Book!!

One opportunity that the blog has brought me is the co-authoring of a guidebook, Paddling Southern Maine! It is something in which I take a lot of pride! My writing partner, Sandy Moore, and I have created a book with 54 amazing trips that are within about an hour of Portland! Our motto as we wrote the book was wanting to 'get people to spend the day on the water and not in their cars!'

If you want more information on our book please click on the image of the book below.

Sandy and I are available to attend/present various functions/events. Please email me at mainekayakgirl@gmail.com for more information!

Thursday, July 16, 2020

Back River, Boothbay

 BOOTHBAY!


As you are probably aware I have posted this trip before.  I love this trip!  It is one I look forward to doing a couple of times each summer.  This summer I have struggled to find a weekend day where high tide is early in the morning.. which is my preference... 
so.. I gave up on a weekend and went on a Wednesday!! 

For details on this trip that I usually include, including directions, click HERE.  

This post is all about the story and the photos... 

So.. I was able to get on the water by about 7:45 yesterday morning with a few friends (eight of us total)  and had a great time! 

I love to do this trip in the morning, early, before the water gets wavy... This trip, however... the water was moving quite a bit... never know what the conditions will be so you have to be on top of your game all the time! 

Everyone arrived on time!  I love that!  (And appreciate it!)  Five out of eight of us had done this trip before... Three people had not done it before... and LOVED it.  

It started with the ospreys... at the launch there were a couple of pairs of ospreys flying and fishing.  They were very talkative!  

Not far from the launch we explored the sunken ship.. it's tradition after all! 


As we went around the top of Barters Island, the Osprey was keeping watch of its chick and encouraging it to spread its wings!!  So fun to watch them interact.  


They were doing construction around the Trevett Bridge... and no smell of bacon from the general store!!!???

 We paddled along Porters Preserve as we headed out to the Sheepscot. 
 




There were plenty of cormorants around too! 

This was my favorite part of the trip:
As we started seeing the seals... the energy in our group shifted... it was good energy to begin with.. but... the seals.. brought a joy that is hard to explain. 
 People started pointing out the seals to each other... the excitement in people's voices intertwined with the awe of being around these animals... was palpable.  I took several moments to just sit back and watch people and listen to them... being present in those moments.. without my camera... were my favorite! 

 It took a while, but the ledges started to appear and the seals were settling in...


And then...  This plane... (Ok truthfully I cursed  A LOT when this plane came...)
 I am VERY protective of the seals.. when they are hauled out, they NEED to be hauled out.. they need to rest and get sun.  And if they are disturbed it is not okay! This plane landed in the water and as it came in for a landing it flew DIRECTLY over the seals... probably within 10 feet or so... the seals scattered... and it took them a while to come back to the spot. . I was so mad!  
I have reported this plane to the FAA and have been in touch with Marine Patrol and the Dept. of Inland fisheries and wildlife.  I hope to get an update!


Within probably 30 minutes of landing it took off again... this time it slowly came out onto the Sheepscot from Back River... and went straight up the river as it took off... vs.  coming in at an angle to get to Back River more quickly... they could have/should have landed in that same way... 

 After that happened...
The seals were VERY active... they came around us... popped up... and watched us as we watched them.  Looking into the eyes of seals... pretty spectacular!


 The seals got back on the rocks... and were so cute!  I wish I had taken more photos, but I was bouncing on the waves so it was hard to get any good shots!
 

This is a collage I posted on social media... I want you to look at the young girl in the photo... I am so proud of her.  She did so great!  My other favorite part of this trip was her. I love this kid.  I have known her her entire life... have known her parents forever... She is young... and strong.  She paddled like a champ... was not phased by the waves... and her awe... filled my heart!   At one point the seals were vocalizing and I imitated them... (I have a really good seal impression!!  Ha!)  She giggled and then tried her own impression.  It was so fun.  She said it was definitely worth getting up early for this experience!




Again.. this just makes my heart happy... sharing this, something so special.. with my friends... friends who are my family.  




 This is one of those trips that you make sure you do each year!  (multiple times if you can!)  
That being said.. this is a trip that involves tides and currents and waves...and lobster boats...and planes apparently... so.. I would not say this is for inexperienced paddlers.  (You may think the little girl is inexperienced, but you would be mistaken.  She paddles often with her parents!)  

Remember, on any trip, know your abilities and limits!  

Thank you to the seals! 







No comments:

Post a Comment