My Book!!

One opportunity that the blog has brought me is the co-authoring of a guidebook, Paddling Southern Maine! It is something in which I take a lot of pride! My writing partner, Sandy Moore, and I have created a book with 54 amazing trips that are within about an hour of Portland! Our motto as we wrote the book was wanting to 'get people to spend the day on the water and not in their cars!'

If you want more information on our book please click on the image of the book below.

Sandy and I are available to attend/present various functions/events. Please email me at mainekayakgirl@gmail.com for more information!

Monday, July 27, 2020

Knights Pond, Northport Maine

Body of water:  Knights Pond, Northport Maine [Map 14]


Directions: Depending on where you are coming from... I would say put the intersection of Beech Hill Rd. and Knights Pond Rd. in Northport Maine into your GPS or map.  You have to go to the end of Knights Pond Road to Wyman Park.  

Parking: There is a small parking area at the end of the road. 
 
This is my truck parked just up from the boat launch.  There is space for a few vehicles next to mine.  If you look closely a 'road' or trail continues into the woods.  It is not a well kept road and I would imagine it is better suited for ATVs than vehicles!  Make sure to not block that when parking.   
Locals who use the park seem to park along the road and on the edge of the boat ramp.  
(I returned here on an afternoon to try to let Gladys swim, but it was packed!)

Launch: The launch is a cement boat ramp.  This pond is pretty small, so I am surprised by a cement launch for bigger boats, but I suppose this would be a good fishing spot!  It is a nice gradual launch into the pond. 
 Next to the launch is a small beach.  There are a few stone fire pits between the beach and the road that look pretty nice!  Locals DO use this beach for swimming.

Fees: None


Bathroom: None

Wildlife: Loons, many birds,


Notes: Wyman Park is a very small park at the end of a dirt road... I have a philosophy with kayaking... when you are in Maine and you are on paved roads that do not have any center lines painted you know you are in a pretty rural place and it is likely a great adventure is ahead... when those un-lined roads end and give way to a dirt road, you know you are on the right track!  This is such a place.  I wasn't sure what to expect so just kept driving.  I firts noticed some places that looked like parking areas on the right driving in, areas that had pretty good sized stone firepits with no camping signs and wondered if I should park there..but kept going.  The boat launch is not much further down the road.   There is a marker (Pic above) to signify the name of the park.  Next to the marker is a small kiosk with info about the pond. 




It was a dreary morning with the promise of clearing up later in the day.  

I had chosen this spot for a few reasons... first, I hoped to find wildlife!  Secondly I had found an article that described paddling Pitcher and Knights Pond on the same day.  I thought, for some reason, that the article had been written in the fall...but I was wrong.  The article was written in the spring...when water levels are higher.  As a result I was unable to paddle to Pitcher Pond via Knights Pond.  The water levels were low and the plantlife was so plentiful the channel between the two ponds was not paddle-able.  So... "You can't get there from here" seems to be the case with this paddling adventure!! Ha! 

Even without being able to access Pitcher Pond from Knights Pond I am really glad I explored this pond.  I think this would be a GREAT place for beginners and for kids.  It is a small enough pond to feel totally do-able, and there are enough places to explore that it would help build skills.  I enjoyed this place. 


I saw this and it made me smile!  Someone likes coming here and has created some recreation of their own!  Although I would say with the water level being so low, I would not jump into the water from that swing!


As with so many ponds in Maine these lovely flowers were plentiful.  


Looking off in the distance the roof of this structure caught my attention.  

The pond is surrounded by some hills and it was really pretty.  


The further up into the pond I got the more lily pads there were.  

And so many lilies! 

This is looking towards Pitcher Pond from Knights Pond.   I am sure it is a great paddle with lots of wildlife in the spring! 


I think this would be a great place for bird watchers.  There were so many birds flying around and many I did not recognize...this is a cedar waxwing... or so I have been told.  Beautiful bird! 

As I tried to paddle the channel I noticed MANY pitcher plants.  Perhaps that is why Pitcher pond is named Pitcher pond? Anyway... Pitcher plants are cool.  They are a carniverous plants... they eat bugs! I think it is more of a passive process than the more well known Venus Flytrap! 



The base of the pitcher plant. 

The water plants were plentiful! 

Gladys seemed to enjoy the pond.  She did great on every trip!  Here are some pics of her on this pond.  


She makes me laugh!  In this pic, she was trying to get close to me to get some cuddles... for some reason she seems to do that more in our early morning paddles!  Or maybe she wanted a turn at paddling? I am not sure... but either way, she is adorable and this photo is on Old Town's Instagram and facebook pages! 

Overall Knights Pond was a great place to paddle.  If I lived in the area I can see myself going there for an early morning paddle or a short after work adventure. 


No comments:

Post a Comment