My Book!!

One opportunity that the blog has brought me is the co-authoring of a guidebook, Paddling Southern Maine! It is something in which I take a lot of pride! My writing partner, Sandy Moore, and I have created a book with 54 amazing trips that are within about an hour of Portland! Our motto as we wrote the book was wanting to 'get people to spend the day on the water and not in their cars!'

If you want more information on our book please click on the image of the book below.

Sandy and I are available to attend/present various functions/events. Please email me at mainekayakgirl@gmail.com for more information!

Monday, July 27, 2020

Pitcher Pond, Lincolnville


Body of water:  Pitcher Pond, Lincolnville (maybe part of Northport too, not sure!) [Map 14]

(Map from google)

Directions:  Enter into the GPS Intersection of N Cobbtown Rd. and Belfast Road in Lincolnville.  Turn onto N Cobbtown Road and the parking area is just beyond the dam on the left, not very far down the road. 

Parking: A small lot for 4 or 5 vehicles, dirt lot.  (I apologize for the poor photo, I had forgotten to take a photo until I was leaving, so took this shot from the truck! Parking is over on the right side. 


Launch: The launch is protected by a gate.  I took time to read all of the signs.  The signs share information about invasive plants and safety for the pond.  There is an indication that people who have larger watercraft can access the launch with a key provided by an  association affiliated with the pond.  For kayakers, canoeists, and SUP- ers... you can carry around the gate or through the gate. 

 Before sharing this spot I wanted to do a little research.  Because of the gate, I wanted to make sure that the launch was in fact for public use.  As you can see from the Pitcher Pond Lake Association, it is for public use, but the gate DOES serve as a tool to educate people.  It is SO important to wash and dry our kayaks/boats AND our paddles between ponds/waterbodies.  Please do your part! 
Click HERE For the details on the Gate that Educates! 

Update: 
One of the signs has a telephone number you can call to get a code to open the lock on the gate!  How cool is that!  This photo is from the Pitcher Pond Association Facebook Page. 


This is what I did just before getting to Pitcher Pond, after kayaking Knights Pond. 
I have a spray bottle with a mixture of bleach and water... I spray the boat and the paddles, wipe them down rinse them with water then wipe them dry.  I love that Pitcher Pond is working to protect this waterway.  

As you can see the launch itself is a very gradual  dirt launch.  Very nice!

Here are photos of the signs: 




Fees: None

Bathroom:  None

Wildlife: Eagles, Loons, cormorants, and more!

Notes:  I had hoped to access Pitcher Pond from Knights Pond, but... the channel to get from there to here was inaccessible due to the low water levels.  That did not stop me.  Where there is a will there is a way!  I paddled Knights Pond, washed my boat/paddle, and drove to the boat launch for Pitcher Pond.  Two places in one day?!  well...actually I did three!!!  But the third one was so short lived because the wind came up I am not sure it counts!

Before getting on the water I had scoped out the launch area a bit.. and found these tiny toads!  So cute! Be careful you don't step on any!





After sliding the kayak through the gate and down to the launch I was excited to see what was in store.  From the launch you can only see a very small area, so I was not sure what was in store! 

The water lilies were stunning!

This was Gladys's second paddle of the day... so she settled in.. 
As I went around a corner I went by this old beaver house.  I love the sign... Cozy Hut For Rent!  Ha! This made me smile!



As I entered the pond I saw this Adirondack chair... pretty sweet spot for it!
 

After getting into the pond I went to the left.  I explored that area/cove and it was beautiful.  There are very nice houses/camps here.  As I paddled I could hear eagles.  I hoped I would get to see them.   As I paddled on the far shore the eagles got louder.  I spotted the nest and saw two baby eagles on the same branch and there was lots of commotion.  
One eagle 'fell' or... got pushed off, ha!  And it wasn't long before it soared to another tree.  
I think the flying lessons have paid off.  

This is the eagle that I believe pushed the other eagle off the branch. 

I paddled a little further and found the second eagle. 

I was so lucky to get a good view of this beauty!  As this eagle was keeping an eye on everything the other eagle was still chirping away! 

As the forecast had promised the clouds were giving way to a beautiful sunny summer day!  Nothing says summer like a swim dock!  Love seeing these wooden floats with metal ladders...


After watching the eagle for a while I saw this turtle on a rock.  It was pretty far away so I zoomed way in.  And was lucky to get the shot at the top of this post of it with its mouth open!


Gladys seemed to enjoy the pond. This angle looks down towards Knights Pond.


It was beautiful!



Again, she did great!

Gladys relaxed so much she fell asleep!  She actually snored! Ironic that I was paddling considering that term Dog Paddling!


I only paddled about halfway down the length of the pond.  It was beautiful.  I had paddled for a while earlier that day and had planned on paddling again later with a friend, so opted to not go further, plus it was getting wicked hot!  And... I don't like to be out when it is super hot unless I know I can get out somewhere and swim.  And Gladys gets super hot!  I try to keep her from swimming in the water because I don't want her to be in the habit of jumping out of the kayak. 

On my way back to the launch site these guys were enjoying the sun!


 
I will return to this pond!  I want to see the eagles again and want to see more of the pond!  
Thanks Pitcher Pond, for the hospitality! 

1 comment:

  1. I saw this blog. Do you still kayak and camp? Do you offer trips for a few days? I’m a teacher in Nebraska and want to make a trip up that way come summer. Thank you for the information.

    ReplyDelete