My Book!!

One opportunity that the blog has brought me is the co-authoring of a guidebook, Paddling Southern Maine! It is something in which I take a lot of pride! My writing partner, Sandy Moore, and I have created a book with 54 amazing trips that are within about an hour of Portland! Our motto as we wrote the book was wanting to 'get people to spend the day on the water and not in their cars!'

If you want more information on our book please click on the image of the book below.

Sandy and I are available to attend/present various functions/events. Please email me at mainekayakgirl@gmail.com for more information!

Thursday, July 16, 2020

Saco River, Standish

Saco River  Standish, Maine 

 

*** I was fortunate to launch form a private home for this adventure.   However.. I THINK there would be a place to launch with parking roadside, but I am not sure! My guide referenced this part of the Saco as below the Limington Rapids...

Body of Water: Saco River, [Map 4 E5]
 
Directions:  This Part of the Saco River is in Standish... I got there via Buxton, not far from Bonny Eagle High School.  From Saco Road I turned Right onto River Road... and headed to the private house where we launched... I think... you could park roadside just after a bridge on River Road, where the red arrow is pointing below... and launch form there.  I have NOT launched from there... so please go knowing it may or may not work out...
Boat Launch:  I am not sure what the boat launch from that roadside area would be like.  Driving by I saw what looked like a doable launch, but did not stop to get out and explore...
Parking: Roadside... very limited space.
Bathroom: No
Wildlife: Eagles, heron, turtles
Notes:  This was a cool 'new to me' spot.  One of my social media/blog followers has reached out to me once in a while and when she reached out recently our schedules aligned and we got a chance to get on the water together.  I was very grateful!

This river reminded me a bit of the west branch of the Penobscot... it was wide in places, more narrow in others.  We got out a bit later in the evening so we didn't have much time to explore, but it was great!  


There's just something about paddling under trees...  (while being aware of spider webs!)


This was a little off shoot off a little off shoot!  Ha!  I loved this part... I felt like nobody else had ever paddled here... and there were ferns!  Mom loved ferns! 


This little turtle was adorable! 

This area had tons of lily pads! 
 

This was my guide for the day!  Thanks Donna!

Loved the lighting at this time... the waters were calming... the baby eagles were talking... pretty nice! 


 Donna had found the nest on a previous paddle.  We heard them well before we saw them!!  There were 2 eaglets in the nest.  We did not see the parents but are certain they were not far away. 







I think I did more talking than photographing on this adventure!  I really enjoyed getting to explore a new place and getting to know a new friend.  There are other people out there who truly get the same fulfillment out of paddling that I do.  I appreciate and value that!  

Keep paddling!!!  
And if you have a new to me place you want to share, let me know!! 

2 comments:

  1. If you go to the Limington Rapids rest area there is a path thru the woods to a beach area where you can swim to a small island in calm water. It would be a bit of a hike with a kayak but doable with wheels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Good to know! I love my kayak cart, helps often!!

      Delete